This morning I was literally the captain of my own ship, nervous... you bet. At 9:00 Sam and I set out for a three hour tour... no wait, that was a different story. Sam and I set out for Apalachicola, which turned out to be a four hour tour. Sam was an excellent navigator, we have GPS and a paper chart. The paper chart gives the big picture and the navigational aids (day markers / channel markers) are all identified with a number that appears on the actual marker. The GPS also shows the marker and it's identifier. Sam keeps an eye on all three so that we know exactly where we are at all times. Believe it or not it's very easy to get turned around and confused if not paying attention. Anyway, when we got to Apalachicola it was a bit confusing because there were no channel markers leading to the marinas, just a very narrow stream that didn't look deep. Shortly I saw there was no other way so I turned around in the narrow marked channel and went back to the narrower unmarked channel, at least I hoped it was a channel. I saw several large boats down the way and no other way for them to get their so I motored onward, holding my breath. The marina I identified on Google Maps didn't have a sign and before I new it I was already past it. Just beyond was another dingy looking marina that gave me just enough room to turn around, so far so good. Ok, now I'm easing my way back to the Water Street Marina but there's a guy fishing off the dock and he casts his line right where I want to go, crap. I explained what I was trying to do and he offered to help with the lines, yeah. I debated between nosing in or backing in.... but I didn't decide until it was too late to nose in so I attempted backing. I put the mighty 90 h.p. vehicle in reverse and to my surprise that cute little tail end eased right into the slip and I didn't let on that it was pure luck. I looked like a pro, having the fisherman, Jeff, help with the lines was very beneficial. Jeff wanted to check the boat out so I told him to look her over.... he loved it.
Today was a short day because after Apalachicola it's a long way to the next marina. We are going to shoot for Panama City Municipal Marina tomorrow. I think it will be a 7 or 8 hour day through some remote canals which are a part of the ICW.

No comments:
Post a Comment