Wednesday, October 1, 2014

An Eighteen Mile Day

This morning, just as we were getting ready to leave, I saw a slow moving tug headed north, do you know what that means? Well, that means we will wait at a each of the three remaining locks on the Tenn-Tom. These last locks are only five or six miles apart which means I can't beat him to any of them. I called Rankin Lock on the radio and he said to give it an hour, he also said there's another approaching Fulton lock so I'll need to keep ahead of him. Let me cut this short and just tell you that we spent an extra 4 1/2 hours waiting on three locks today. Then after we exited the final northbound lock on the Tenn-Tom I opened her up to 2300 rpms and within minutes she was sitting on a 220 degrees, och! Sat at an idle while she cooled down then limped on over to Bay Springs Marina arriving at approximately 3:45. Can't do much while she's hot so I'll sit and stew on it for now and deal with it in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment