Thursday, July 24, 2014

My First Day On the Water

Bill Slattum and I pulled away from the dock in Elbow Creek's Eau Gallie Yacht Basin Marina at 10:00. I waved goodbye to my wonderful Dad as he stood on the dock. Spending the last ten days with him has been the highlight of this entire experience. I've always thought he was the best Dad in the world and this time with him has just reinforced that opinion. Thank you for spending this time with me.... you're the best!
Bill and I stopped a few miles down the waterway to fuel-up. I put 100 gallons of diesel fuel in the tanks at $4.33 per gallon. Now I'm not going to total that up for you because it would probably give you a heart attack,  but suffice it to say the it was a tidy sum.
We pulled away from the fuelling dock around 12:30 and headed south along the ICW. This is a waterway that is in reality a ditch dredged out of very shallow body's of water. Depths on each side of the nine foot deep, forty foot wide ditch are around three to four feet. 
Ok, as I said we headed south at a blistering 7.8 mph until we reached Fort Pierce some six hours later. The whole time we could see huge storms off to our starboard side closing in just a mile or so behind us. We were very lucky that we never were hit by one of them. 
We are currently at Harbour Town Marina in Ft Pierce enjoying my nice new a/c unit after a dip in the pool. While relaxing on the front of the boat we watched egrets settling in for the night on a small island and  l enjoyed seeing several manatees pass by as we were tied to the dock. That was a special treat because our boat is a Kadey-Krogen Manatee.
I spoke to Daddy a few minutes ago and he made it home safe and sound. All is good and I'll write some more tomorrow. 
Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment